Memorable Moments: The soundtrack for your ceremony
Let's face it: there's a lot to consider when choosing songs for your ceremony. For most couples, this is a moment that really embodies their love. Finding the music to adequately bring that to life is so important. When you hear these songs throughout your lifetime, you're guaranteed to feel how you felt on your day, in that moment. Plus, no one wants anything over-used or too cliché. Who wouldn't feel some pressure when choosing ceremony music?
Check out our top 10 lists for different parts of your ceremony. We've tried to add a little something for everyone: the romantics, the cool geeky couples, duos that love to rock and everything in between.
These are non-traditional, so if you're looking for classic ceremony music tips, check that out here.
Want to create your own epic ceremony soundtrack? Check out our helpful hints here.
Prelude - This is the music that plays while your guests arrive. This music shouldn't be overlooked; it literally sets the mood for the rest of the night. We typically recommend 20-30 minutes for this.
- "Theme from Jurassic Park" - John Williams
- "In Your Eyes" - Peter Gabriel, or the instrumental version by Vitamin String Quartet (VSQ)
- "Hallelujah" - Jeff Buckley, or instrumental version VSQ
- "Just Like Heaven" - VSQ (the version by The Cure is pretty upbeat and doesn't necessarily set a warm, subdued mood, but it IS pretty fun)
- "Wild Horses" - The Sundays (with vocals), VSQ (instrumental)
- "Heroes" - David Bowie (vocals), VSQ (instrumental)
- "God Only Knows" - The Beach Boys (vocals), VSQ (instrumental)
- "Oh My Love" - John Lennon (There is not a great instrumental version of this song, but the vocals are pretty subtle. It would stand out nicely as the only song with vocals.)
- "Han Solo and the Princess" - VSQ
- "Beautiful Day" - U2 (Again, the original version is pretty upbeat and might sound out of place), VSQ (instrumental)
Processional - This is the music that plays while your wedding party walks down the aisle. The length of songs/duration of this section of music is dependent on the size of your wedding party.
- "The Princess Bride - Storybook Love" - VSQ - This one is great for early on in the processional--think: family being seated, any members of the wedding party taking place in the front of the ceremony before anyone comes down the aisle.
- "Tupelo Honey" - VSQ - An early processional favorite.
- "Days Like This" - VSQ - A really sweet way to being the processional.
- "Somebody to Love" - VSQ - We love it for the wedding party.
- "You'll Be In My Heart" - Midnite String Quartet - Wedding Party
- "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" - Midnite String Quartet - Wedding Party
- "Here Comes Your Man" - VSQ - Great for Groom taking his place, or Groom(s) walking down the aisle
- "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" - VSQ - Again, great for families being seated or wedding party coming down aisle.
- "You're My Best Friend" - VSQ - Perfect for that big moment: when the bride/groom(s) walk down the aisle at the end of the processional. We love this sound because its happy, but also big in orchestration, so it really sounds like the peak of the processional!
- "I'm Yours" - VSQ - Another strong contender for the end of the processional.
Unity Ceremonies - This is the music that plays while the couple lights candles, performs a unity sand ceremony, or one of our favorites: a unity BEER! ceremony. We really recommend putting music to these moments. Encourage your DJ to fade into the appropriate place in the song so you can have it be your favorite part! The length of songs/duration of this section of music is dependent on your unity ceremony type.
- "La Vie En Rose" - Midnite String Quartet (MSQ)
- "When Will My Life Begin" - MSQ
- "You've Got A Friend in Me" - MSQ
- "Crash into Me" - MSQ
- "60B" - Nancy Wilson
- "This Was Nearly Mine" - Lindsey Buckingham
- "The Power of Love" - VSQ
- "Maybe I'm Amazed" - VSQ
- "Sail Away" - VSQ, although we LOVE the original by David Gray
- "Us and Them" - VSQ
Recessional - The most fun part! This is after you're pronounced a married couple and you make your way back down the aisle! This will also continue to play as guests leave. We recommend you have fun with this song selection! Although we typically suggest sticking to a general vibe (string quartets, acoustic versions, etc) this song can break the rules.
- "All You Need is Love" - The Beatles, VSQ also does a version
- "White Wedding" - Billy Idol - Come on...it's a classic!
- "Marry You" - Bruno Mars - It might feel cheesy thinking about it now, but we promise it's sweet in the moment.
- "You Really Got Me" - The Kinks
- "You Make Loving Fun" - Fleetwood Mac
- "These Are The Days" - 10,000 Maniacs
- "The End" - The Beatles
- "Got To Get You Into My Life" - The Beatles
- "Start Me Up" - The Rolling Stones
- "For Once In My Life" - Stevie Wonder
- "What is Life" - George Harrison (we like this one so much, we had to give you 11 choices)